“I see the world and I paint it” Kathy Best
Kathy creates bold, expressive acrylic abstracts and contemporary paintings based on observation of the world around her. The works are predominately based on the present landscape and landscapes observed while travelling. She sometimes paints loosely from reference photos or memory. Other times she lets the paint and marks on the canvas guide her. Kathy’s works explore colour relationships, impasto texture, movement, shapes and layers.
“Take a look, take a 2nd look and take a longer look – I love putting my work out there.” Kathy Best
Kathy has been painting consistently since 2008 under the guidance of many tutors. She is continuously learning and thinking of new ideas.
2019 – Completed Certificate III in Visual Arts at Box Hill Institute
2021 – Currently studying Certificate IV in Visual Arts at Box Hill Institute
Highlights and Awards
- Life Member of Box Hill Art Group – 2020
- Highly commended at Box Hill Art Group Mid Year Online Exhibition in 2020 (Judge: Jacquie Nichols-Reeve) Artwork – The Day Begins.
- 2nd Prize in oil/acrylic at Box Hill Art Group Annual Exhibition at Box Hill Town Hall in 2019 (Judge: Ben Winspear) Artwork – The Grand Canyon.
- Sold a large artwork to an International collector in USA in 2019, Artwork – Come Fly With Me.
- Selected and exhibited in ‘Life Abstracted’ exhibition at Cambridge Studio Gallery, Collingwood in 2018, Artwork – Dressed for the Races.
- Works leased and hung at The Cluster Co-working Office Space, Queen St, Melbourne in 2018.
- Highly Commended Award at Box Hill Art Group Annual Exhibition at Box Hill Town Hall in 2017 (Judge: Jo Reitze) Artwork – Country Drive.
- Box Hill Art Group Mid-Year Exhibition Winner in 2016 (Judge: Gillian McCarthy) Artwork – The Farmhouse II.
- Two artworks sold to an International collector in Finland in 2016, Artworks In the Foyer and Autumn Leaves.
- Group exhibition collaborated with a small group of artists I met on social media in 2014.
- Fond memories of the Judge’s (Judy Leong – Artist in Residence) paragraph about my piece on receiving my first award at Box Hill Art Group in 2011, Artwork – Two Squares and a Bar.
- Bluethumb Curation by Freddy Grant, October 2020 – “October’s Trending Artists” – Toffee Apple
- ColourSpace Gallery interview with Scott Ko, July 2020 – Art Appreciation with Kathy Best – See the clip above
- Bluethumb Curation by Megan George, April 2020 “Creativity During COVID-19” – View From My Window
- Bluethumb Curation by Freddy Grant, January 2020 “Midsumma Magic” – Living in Harmony
- Bluethumb Curation – January 2020 – “Art for Bushfire Relief” – Lily Pad
- Bluethumb Curation by Sarah Newton, November 2019 – “Sarah’s Picks” – Capitol Reef National Park
- Herald Sun Leader newspaper, 2 September 2019 – “Original Art Brings Joy”
- Bluethumb Curation by Grace Lye, August 2019 “Affordable Art” – Creatures
- Bluethumb Curation by Freddy Grant, August 2019 “Wall Art for your Kitchen and Dining Room” – Let’s Eat Pizza
- Bluethumb Curation by Grace Lye, June 2019, “Candy Colours” – Summer in the Alps
- Herald Sun Leader newspaper, 15 October 2018, “Masterpieces on the spot” Box Hill Art Group Annual Exhibition
- Art Newz – Box Hill Art Group Newsletter, September 2018 “Practising Art and Other Things” Artist Profile
- Herald Sun Leader newspaper, 25 June 2017, “Splash of Street Colour” Kathy’s painted traffic signal box
- Herald Sun Leader newspaper, 6 March 2014, “Social media meet up Inspires artists’ Kew Exhibition”